Grant Application FAQs

Please click the question to reveal the answer


Q: For question #4- Should the reason activity selected and supporting data sections be very in depth? I have several paragraphs for each section as I describe enforcement details. Also, is section 4 just for things we are asking for funding or for all programs/activities we will be doing to support grant?

A: Give as much detail as necessary to answer the question, but try to do it in as concise a manner as possible. The question relates to all programs and activities for the project, so you should include both ones for which you are requesting funding and any others that are part of the match.

Q: The overview for the current grant RFA indicates that municipalities can apply. Would that also include county government agencies?

A: Yes, county governmental agencies may also apply.

Q: Regarding applications from multiple community entities. Would the following entities be eligible to submit a proposal: Chamber of Commerce that is a non-profit representing businesses, educational institutions and services in the community or Business Improvement District (BID) that is a 501(c) (6)?

A: As long as they are discrete entities, not connected in any way, both would be acceptable as applicants as long as the programs they proposed are directly related to reducing underage and dangerous drinking.

Q: In regards to the underage drinking grant, the application states that you need support letters from two separate agencies/organizations. The agency I am applying for has often worked with the local chapter of the LCB on underage drinking task forces. Can one of the support letters be from the local chapter of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board?

A: Letters of support from the PA Liquor Control Board would NOT be allowed as they would represent a clear conflict of interest since we are the grantor. Additionally, the PLCB does not have local chapters, however if you meant PA State Police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement (BLCE), letters of support from BLCE districts would be acceptable.

Q: If two or more campuses are submitting grants but one grant involves coalition activities and the coalition grant is requesting letters from all campuses in the coalition, will a letter of support for the coalition grant negatively affect the review of that campus’ own application?

A: No. We encourage collaboration so this would not negatively impact the application.

Q: In the Project Summary, Applicant History and Description of the targeted population sections, is the 1500 character limitation with or without spaces?

A: The 1500 characters include spaces. We set the limit in order to encourage applicants to be succinct in their descriptions in this field.


Q: I did read that the time frame of the grant is not 100% set. If the date does get pushed forward will the end date be pushed forward also or would it still have to end on June 30, 2017?

A: June 30, 2017 is the end of the state fiscal year and will be the end of the grant year, regardless of the start date of the grant.

Q: I have a question relating to the purpose of the grant. We are considering using the funds to continue work with freshman and transfer students around the issue of dangerous and underage drinking. This program will be offered to all new incoming freshman and transfer students beginning Fall 2015. Does this meet the requirement set forth in the PLCB grant application as it pertains to the use of the funds as, “ seed money?”

A: It is difficult to answer without having all the details of the program. If you are continuing work that has already been done, it raises the question of supplantation – using grant funds to replace funds originally used for the program. However, if you are adding to or enhancing the program, that is a different matter, and it would be eligible, providing it meets all other grant criteria.

Q: The application states that funds are to be “used as seed money to initiate programs focused on evidence-informed strategies to reduce underage and dangerous drinking.” We are interested in applying for funding to continue some of the programs that we are piloted under our current PLCB grant. Is that allowable under the grant or is new programming preferred?

A: Grants supporting new programs will be given priority, as PLCB grant funds are to be considered “seed money.” However, if your current programming is seeing results, and you want to expand the current program to additional recipients/locations/etc., it may be eligible for funding. Be sure to include all data showing the progress of the current programming. Also, explain how grant funds will not supplant current funding.

Q: If a university is already using an on-line alcohol module, can the grant money be used to become part of a coalition which is an extension of the on-line alcohol module?

A: It is difficult to answer this type of hypothetical question. It would depend upon what type of extension is being requested. If the extension has to do with the purposes of the grant, underage and dangerous drinking, it would probably be allowable. However, if it is an add-on for such things as other drugs, violence or sexual assault, it would not be allowable.

Q: In the application for this grant I am proposing the Purchase of AlcoholEdu for College through EverFi’s. If the cost of the program exceeds the grant and we are planning to cover the extra amount from other funds, will we still qualify?

A: Please refer to the grant instruction guide, page 11. The third paragraph in the calculation section reads as follows: “If you are purchasing an item or service that exceeds the maximum allowed for a line, you may pay the remainder and use it in matching funds. Note in the narrative what the actual cost is, how much you are paying and that the balance will be used for matching funds.” While this refers primarily to line items with specific maximums, the same logic applies to the grant as a whole. You may use the grant to cover part of the expense and then use the rest of the expense to meet your matching funds commitment.

Q: Are SCAS eligible to apply for the LCB Grant? If yes, does it matter if they are a DDAP PFS Grantee?

A: Yes, Single County Authorities are eligible, even if they are a DDAP grantee. As long as they are part of county government and not a branch of a state agency, they may apply.

Q: The recent PLCB grant announcement stated, “Remember, only one grant per entity. (example: ABC University can only send in one grant application…not Public Safety from ABC University and Residence Life from ABC University)”. As Penn State has multiple campuses, can only one application be received from the entire Penn State system?

A: For the purposes of this grant, Penn State campuses are considered separate entities as long as they are in different locations.

Q: Does the PLCB grant have to be completed for two years? For example does the timeline and budget narrative have to be for two years?

A: No. If you wish to only receive funding for one year, simply explain and place 0’s in the budget section for the other year.

Q: We are planning to submit a grant application as the Lead Agency/Fiscal Agent for a community coalition. We have also been requested to be a subcontractor on a county PLCB grant submission for another service. Can we be recipients of two PLCB grants - one as the grantee and the other as a subcontractor?

A: Each discrete entity may only receive one grant. However, if an agency/organization is also providing contracted services to another successful grantee, it may be reimbursed under an additional grant.

Cumulative Evaluation 

Q: Does the evaluator on the "Cumulative Evaluation" page have to be from outside the organization?

A: No. The evaluator may be from inside your organization. If you do use your own staff, do not use the budget line item for outside evaluator; their payment would be on the staff expense line.

Grant Narratives 

Q: In Section 4, Grant Narrative, it states under each item 1-3 that there is a 1500 character limit. Is this 1500 limit for each question or 1500 for the entire section 4?

A: 1500 character limit is for each section.

Q: Regarding the Assessment Survey for the Bureau of Alcohol Education Grant, do we to include in the application the exact survey instrument that we’ll use to assess the intervention or can we just say a pre/post survey will be administered by our research partner?

A: In general, it is always better to have more specific information when it is available. If you do not have the name of the instrument, give as much detail about what exactly will be surveyed and how the survey will be conducted.

Q: Is it necessary to list activities such as Alcohol meetings and the required PLCB Grant Reimbursement Reporting Workbook submissions and Cumulative Grant Evaluation Report? (I know these are required to be listed in the time-line but was not sure if you also wanted them under the grant narrative also).

A: It is not necessary to list the PLCB reports as activities. However, any meetings you attend that relate to the grant, such as coalition meetings, should be included.

Q: The PLCB Grant description includes “underage drinking” and “dangerous” drinking. Our targeted municipality hosts many bars; is it possible to include all drinking ages for purposes of this grant? Or must the grant specifically target dangerous drinking among underage youth?

A: Our grants are for the reduction of underage and dangerous drinking. Underage is easily definable, we have a zero tolerance for drinking prior to age 21. Programs focused on the prevention of dangerous or binge drinking are allowable, however should be targeted to 21 to 29 year olds. Prior to submitting a proposal, please review the instruction guide, in particular the lists of allowable and unallowable programs.

Letters of Support 

Q: Being a Police Department, we do Enhanced Patrols for Minor Liquor Law and Public Drunkenness (underage drinking). Who do we get Letters of Support from?

A: Letters of support should be from other organizations or agencies with whom you work. For example, if you are in a university town, a letter from the university would be appropriate. Other possibilities would be local high schools, the PA State Police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement, community organizations, etc.

Q: We would like to know if it would be acceptable to receive Letters of Support from the Upper Dublin Township Parks and Recreation Department as well as the Upper Dublin Township Library? Based upon reading the Grant Application Instruction Guide (i.e. examples listed) regarding Letters of Support, it appears as it though it would not be acceptable for these two departments to provide us with Letters of Support since they both are under the "umbrella" of Upper Dublin Township. Can you please let us know if this interpretation is correct? Please note that these Letters of Support would be in addition to other Letters of Support that we will be receiving from the local school district as well as from community organizations.

A: As long as you have two "solid" letters of support, additional ones would be viewed as extra and not subject to close scrutiny. However, in this case, these agencies would be acceptable. Although they are all part of the township, they are still run separately.

Q: I noticed in the Grant Application guide the PLCB requires the letters of support be addressed to the applicant. I noticed that a few addressed the letters of support to the PLCB on the letterhead.  Is this a fatal flaw to our application and should we have the writers change who the letters are address to or are we OK since the individuals are supporting our organization?

A: On page 7, question 7 of the guidelines it states that the letters should be addressed to the organization, not the PLCB. While this will not disqualify the applicant, the application will lose some points.

Q: My question is in regard to support letters. If I were to involve several different schools in my project, do I need one letter of support from each school?

A: This year our grant process requires a minimum of two letters of support. However, if you are planning to work with multiple schools, it would be advantageous to have letters from all involved.

Project Summary 

Q: I have a question about Section 4, Item 4: There are 3 sections to be completed: Proposed activity, reason activity selected, and supporting data. Please clarify where the data to support the evidence of efficacy should be entered. The RFP notes this under REASON and under SUPPORTING DATA.

A: The reason the activity was selected section should explain why the particular activity chosen was selected. It should clearly state why that particular activity is relevant to the goals of your project. Data on the efficacy of the program should go under the supporting data heading.

Q: You state that any social norms messages must be based on recent data. Please define "recent."

A: In order for a social norms campaign to be effective, it must be believable to the intended audience. This is why recent data is necessary. The preference would be to take a survey at the beginning of the campaign or use PAYS or Core data from the most recent year. Data more than two years old would not be as effective in reaching students.

Years 1 and 2 Budget Narratives 

Q: We are looking to complete an application for one of the PLCB grants and I have a question regarding an acceptable program. We were interested in the Alcohol Literacy Challenge Curriculum but it is not listed on the PLCB allowable programs document. The program is evidenced based and included in SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidenced-based Programs and Practices. The Alcohol Literacy Challenge material is updated annually to provide current material that should keep students interested. The program aims to challenge the expectancies associated with drinking to alter the behavior and attitudes towards alcohol. There is a large body of scientific research supporting the efficacy of this program and we feel like it would be extremely beneficial to children in our area. Please let me know if this program is acceptable for grant funding.

A: It appears this program is in keeping with what we are looking for – it is about alcohol and it is evidence based. Be sure to include the supporting data in your application.

Q: Publicizing alcohol-related laws and school policies is an Allowable Activity. Would purchasing note pads with magnets which included alcohol-related and school policies (which students could hang in their rooms) be an Allowable Activity?

A: Promotional items are not allowable unless they include a social norms message, so this would not be allowable.

Q: The Boys & Girls Clubs of NEPA in collaboration with The Lackawanna/Susquehanna Office of Drug and Alcohol Programs plans to offer a Too Good For Drugs program for our kids at the Club. It is an evidence-based program. I was wondering if this is something that would be appropriate to apply for this type of grant?

A: Too Good for Drugs is an evidence-based program. If you are requesting funding for it, you will need to both give the data supporting it and ensure that this is applicable to alcohol use. The grant is for use to reduce underage and dangerous drinking, so there must be significant focus on prevention of underage drinking for it to be allowable.

Q: There are times we use 3-5 Officers, depending upon availability. A combination of both Part-Time and Full-Time Officers (including Bike Patrol). Which also involves 40 hours per week. What would the best solution be to figure out the average pay, since there are 3 possible scenarios. Our High Risk Hours are 1800-0600.

A: It is up to you to decide on the requested amount for officer salaries, however you may wish to use the highest average which will ensure that you will have adequate funds to cover whichever scenario is used. Just be sure explain in the budget narrative how you arrived at that figure.

Q: Is the maximum $1,000.00 per item or is $1,000.00 to include all items?

A: The maximum for the line is $1,000. It does not matter how many items are purchased, the total may not exceed $1,000.

Q: We would like to include training in Restorative Justice Practices in our grant. This training is offered by the International Institute for Restorative Practices in Bethlehem, PA. Would that be a PLCB approved training?

A: The purpose of the grant is to reduce underage and dangerous drinking. Without having a full description of the training, it’s difficult to be sure, but it does not appear to be a preventive measure, but rather something that would occur after an incident has occurred. If that is the case, it would NOT be an approved training.

Q: We are interested in utilizing a model that has been used successfully in New Hampshire called Youth 2 Youth out of Dover. The model has been evaluated for four years at five sites in New Hampshire with favorable results when compared to control groups. They are close to NREPP review but need a little more time to collect longitudinal data. They do have enough data to state that they are evidence based. Would we be able to apply for funds to purchase curriculum and training? They obviously are out of state but similar to SFP we would likely bring them in to train. Some training is also available by webinar.

A: As long as there is good data, we could consider that program. Be sure to include existing data in your application to substantiate the request. As for training, we do not pay for out-of-state travel. However, if you were to bring them in as consultants, their travel should be included in their fee. If grant funds are not sufficient to cover that expense, you could use matching funds to pay the remainder.

Q: I noticed there was a questions asked about the Red Watch Band Training, are all Bystander Intervention programs NOT allowable?

A: That is correct. Per the unallowable expenses list, we are not funding treatment/intervention activities.

Q: We are a University applying for a PLCB Grant. The Police Department has expressed interest in purchasing the Live Safe smart phone app for students. The app provides for discrete bystander reporting in emergency situations, as well as easy communication with the police department. Essentially the app turns any phone into a campus ‘emergency blue phone.’ Would such an expense be considered under the Enforcement section of the grant proposal. It does not seem to fall under the equipment section. Traditionally we have applied for Police Overtime in the enforcement section, but wondered if this might be an alternative.

A: The purpose of the grant is to reduce underage and dangerous drinking. The app you describe appears to be an intervention and would not be an allowable expense. Police patrols are allowable because their presence is considered to be a deterrent and thus fits in with the goals of the grant.

Q: Would assessments to determine if a student had a drinking problem be an allowable expense?

A: That would not be an allowable expense. (See alcohol screenings on the Unallowable Expenses list.)

Q: Is Red Watch Band Training an allowable grant expense? Is the CPR Training that is included as part of the Red Watch Band Training an allowable grant expense? Are the actual Red Watch Bands an allowable grant expense?

A: The purpose of this grant is to reduce underage and dangerous drinking. Red Watch Band training is considered an intervention that occurs after the drinking has occurred and thus is not allowable under the grant. Therefore no expenses related to it would be allowable.

Q: Is the International Town and Gown Conference an approved PLCB training? Can our matching funds be used to send staff to this conference?

A: Per the grant instruction guide (p. 18), out-of state travel expenses are not allowable as a funded activity. This would include conference fees as well. It would be acceptable as a match as long as justification is given as to how it relates to the purpose of the grant, reducing underage and dangerous drinking.

Q: Is it mandatory to have grant funds pay for an "Outside Evaluator" as in line item 7? Or can we use matching funds for this?

A: It is not mandatory to use an outside evaluator or to use grant funds to pay one if you do. This would be a good use of matching funds.

Q: There is a parenting program we have been considering for this grant called " Positive Discipline." This is not an evidence-based program under any list but has a lot of research behind it that shows that it can reduce the likelihood that youth will engage in risky behaviors (for example using drugs) and also be more likely to successful in school. This is a local group certified to provide this training. Our school uses positive disciple as their discipline approach and really likes this parenting program. In addition this group provides this training regularly to early education parents and their children. They have offered this at the 6th grade level and have been tremendously successful in getting parents to come because they have had some exposure to it . This staff would also become trained in Power of Parents program and would offer that as a fifth session? Would that be accepted under this grant?

A: It is difficult to answer this type of question without all the information. If there is good research that this program has been effective at reducing underage and dangerous drinking, include that in the application. That is the main purpose of our grant. If your data indicates that to be the case, we would consider it. As to the Power of Parents program, that is definitely allowable and the cost of materials for it would go under the training line item.

Q: We would like to use another agency to come in and provide the Guiding Good Choices parent program one time each year. What line item would this go under? This organization has a fee of $2,655.00 to provide this program. Do we need to break down every budget item cost into our budget or may we use their flat fee for all expenses?

A: This sounds to be a consultant situation in that you are paying an outside person or agency to administer the program. As such it would go under the consultant line. Please note though that this line has a maximum of $1,500. The remainder could be used as a match for the grant. If the organization charges a flat fee, there is no need to break out expenses.

Q: In the wording for the grant it states under Unallowable Expenses - One-time educational programs such as assemblies, motivation speakers, mock crashes, DUI simulators, entertainers or speaker fees for these presentations (not allowed). Does this wording really apply to a school doing this onetime event or would this also apply to a speaker/presenter like myself looking to get funding to speak at many schools?

A: That is correct, this type of one time event is not allowed. This grant is intended to be used for comprehensive, evidence-informed programming.

Q: The program thru MADD called “Protecting You, Protecting Me” will be discontinued as of 9/30/15. Are we still able to use this program?

A: It has just come to our attention that this program will be discontinued and that the training materials are no longer available, therefore we recommend it not be included in a grant proposal.

Q: May a school district apply for a grant to support a social norms campaign that will occur in 2 high school buildings?

A: Absolutely.

Q: Our community coalition would like to address the issue of alcohol use as a precursor to sexual assault. The program “Challenging College Alcohol Abuse” is of particular interest however, we would also like to implement within high schools. Would this still fit the criteria for the grant? Our other thought was to use “Safe Dates” which appears on NREIP and adapt it to cover the issue of alcohol as it relates to sexual assault, since “Safe Dates” is aimed at high school age but does not have alcohol reduction as one of its goals. This is an issue that we really need to address in our community – any other ideas?

A:We know there is a connection between alcohol use and sexual assault. However, any program we fund must deal primarily with prevention of the underage and dangerous use of alcohol, not preventing the results of its use. If the program addresses our issues, it may be acceptable. However, it’s not possible to tell you specifically yes or no without having all the details and that would not be appropriate in this forum. The best advice is to read the grant application and instructions and do research on the program or programs you are considering to see if they meet the criteria.

Q: For the Grant Budget Line 5: Staff Expenses, Could I put the number of Overtime Hours Worked and the Hourly Rate? Since we would only be able to guess at the actual date the overtime details would take place over the next 2 years the grant will be taking place.

A: Yes, you will need to fill in the number of hours worked and the hourly rate. Under the narrative section, simply put “Dates for month of (fill in month) to be determined.” The dates should be the same as those in the timeline section.

Q: For a social norms grant, is the $1,000 spending for promo items for one location (ie. school) or the total for the whole grant or $1,000 per year?

A: The $1,000 limit is for all promotional items, regardless of the locations involved. Each grant year, the $1000 may be requested. The limit does not include money for posters or ads, only for promotional items.

Q: We would like to hire PLCB Liquor Enforcement Officers from the Philadelphia office to patrol specific areas on specifics dates/times. Is this allowed since we are in Philadelphia and they could be considered local?

A: This is not allowable. The PLCB provides funding that covers the salary of PA State Police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement (BLCE) Liquor Enforcement Officers, therefore grant funds MAY NOT also be used to pay BLCE officers.

Q: Though I understand that incentives for participation in grant activities as well as alternate activities at the college setting are NOT allowable costs for the grant budget, would these items be allowable as part of the college’s match?

A: Yes.

Q: We are a college town, and I know that party patrols are an allowable expense under the grant, my question is it allowable to put in for some funds to not only pay for our officers but if we decide to team-up with University Police Officers on joint-patrols could we seek reimbursement under the grant and it allowable under the grant?

A: Normally staff expenses only apply to direct employees of the grantee. However, in this one case we make an exception to encourage collaboration. However, if the university would also become a grantee, we would be vigilant to make sure there is no “double-dipping,” that the PLCB would not be paying for the same patrol twice.

Q: What do you consider "fringe benefits" (as a not allowable expense)?

A: Fringe benefits would be anything other than salary – insurance, retirement, etc.

Q: You list coalition development as an "allowable expense" - are there specific activities you fund under coalition development or will you consider a well-supported plan for development as well as some of the allowable activities (to be completed by/with the coalition?)

A: No specific activities are listed. A well-defined plan would be required for this to be considered. The activities would be separate and would have to conform to the other requirements of the grant.

Q: Are BACCHUS education programs and trainings and conferences allowable expenses under peer education?

A: As long as they adhere to the other guidelines (i.e. they are within the state and they are strictly about alcohol).

Q: I see that RAMP/TIPS training are unallowable expenses but, is the administration of TIPS training to students allowed (as it is an approved SAMHSA evidence-based program)?

A: TIPS training is NOT an allowable expense, whether to students or others.

Q: Can the grant be used to pay for off-campus police that the University would hire to patrol specific areas on specific dates/times? This expense is NOT a University “staff expense.”

A: Generally speaking, this type of expense would not be considered a staff expense, due to the fact that the police are not employees of the university. However, this is the one instance where we will make an exception and allow grantees to use the staff line to cover the costs of paying for additional patrol hours by local police departments only.

Q: I am working at a boarding school. We will be contracting a local police department to provide an officer to patrol certain high risk dates and times throughout the school year. Which line should this cost go under?

A: That would be considered a staff expense.

Q: Are Consultants who are brought to campus to do faculty/staff trainings related to students & drinking permissible use of grant funding?

A: That may be permissible, depending on exactly what type of training is offered. It is NOT acceptable to bring in consultants as speakers for a meeting or assembly, but alcohol-specific training would be allowable. As always, be sure to include a description of exactly what the training will be.

Q: Are membership fees covered under the grant? For example BACCHUS?

A: Membership fees would only be covered if it was for something related exclusively to alcohol or alcohol education.

Q: If we complete a curricular needs assessment and determine the need to purchase classroom materials for underage and unsafe drinking where do we put the cost for these classroom materials into the grant application?

A: It would depend on what the materials are. First, they must be allowable under the grant guidelines – certain types of materials are excluded. If the materials in question are curriculum materials, they could be placed under the training line. If, however, they are items such as paper, markers, etc. to be used for projects, they would then be considered office supplies and should be placed in that line.

Matching Funds 

Q: I see that grant funds are not allowable to pay for shifts of BLCE officers. Are matching funds appropriate in this regard?

A: Yes, that would be acceptable.

Q: I have no clue as to where I go to get matching funds. I’m probably reading too much into the instructions.

A: The instructions on matching funds are on page 20 of the instruction guide. Here are a few additional ideas of how to meet the match: If the majority of your grant is going to pay staff expenses for patrols, be aware that grant funds may not be used to pay for fringe benefits, such as pension, health benefits, etc. However you CAN use those for the match. Another possibility is if you are purchasing law enforcement equipment and the purchase exceeds the $1,000 maximum, any additional money put towards the purchase could be part of the match as well.

Q: I understand that one-time educational programs such as motivational speakers and speaker fees are an unallowable grant expense. Would speaker fees be allowable as part of our portion of matching funds?

A: As long as the speakers are A) part of the comprehensive program and B) speaking about underage and dangerous drinking. This should all be explained in the details section. We will not fund speakers on other subjects, such as drugs or dangerous/distracted driving.

Q: Two of our community partners will be allowing the coalition and the parent education committee of our coalition to use its space for meetings and activities. Can the usual and customary cost of this be used toward the match?

A: No. As mentioned in a previous question, you cannot use the donation of your space as a match. This would amount to paying yourself and is not allowed.

Q: Can matching funds be used for a program that we have already been funding - such as EChug? Or do we have to use our matching funds and the grant funds for "seed projects" only?

A: That would be an acceptable use of matching funds. Matching funds do not have to be used for new programs, they are intended to show the organization’s commitment to the project.

Q: If we are currently using and funding MyStudentBody with our funds, but will be expanding its usage under the proposed program (additional questions, adding parent questions, etc.), rather than request grant funds for the costs, would the costs be eligible as matching funds?

A: If you are expanding the program, the expansion would not be supplantation, and would be allowable as long as the expansion has to do with reducing underage and dangerous drinking. Expansion to cover other topics, such as drugs or sexual assault, would not be fundable.

Q: If the grantee has a facility rate schedule, are its fees for the rooms for weekly meetings held by a Peer Education Group eligible as in-kind matching funds?

A: The only expenses allowable for coalition meetings are room rental or printing costs. No food costs are allowed. Fees the grantee pays to itself are not allowable as a match.

Q: If we are expanding current programming in our campaign to reduce underage and dangerous drinking, as well as introducing new components, is it acceptable for the seed money from the PLCB grant to be applied to the new programming (Core surveys, curriculum integration and targeted messaging) while the matching funds are used to expand our existing programs in size, scope and audience?

A: As long as the existing programs you are using as a match complement the new programs and are allowable expenses, that will be acceptable.

Q: When completing the programs and activities section should programs and activities occurring utilizing the organizations matching funds be listed?

A: Any programs or activities that are part of the overall grant project should be included, so yes.

Q: I would like to use the gasoline used to fuel the vehicles during roving patrols and alcohol establishment surveillance details as a matching fund. Can you please tell me the formula for fuel cost that I should use for this calculation? For example: we use approximately 4 gallons of gas per detail multiplied by “X” number of details multiplied by (what number) per gallon? Should I use the gas price per gallon at this date, the average price per gallon for last year, the Federal government price per mile?

A: We prefer that instead of using the fuel cost, you use the GSA price per mile. Use that price for calculations for the application – cost per mile x number of miles anticipated. This may change during the course of the grant, but we will honor the price at the time the payment voucher is submitted.

Q: Officer time for enforcement details - do we have to break down each officers wage or can we group them together? Example - 10 officers working 100 hours at $35.12.

A: It is not necessary for the application to list each officer’s wage. The application is just your best guess at what the costs will be. You may group them together. If the grant is awarded, reimbursement procedures will require more detail, but for the purpose here, a grouping is permissible.

Q: Can we continue to use personal “time” for focusing on grant activities for the match. Example- 40 hours of work time to conduct walk-throughs as a match?

A: You may use time as long as it is paid work time, not volunteer time. This would be acceptable as a match, but not as part of the grant as that could be seen as supplantation.

Q: If the grant money is used on a program that does not prove effective, is the institution required to spend the matching funds?

A: If the grant money is spent, the matching funds must be spent as well. However, if the program proves to be ineffective, the organization could propose an alternative program.

Q: Are matching funds actually dispersed during the term of the grant or are the matching funds held onto by the institution for use when the grant term expires?

A: The matching funds must be spent during the grant cycle to enhance the planned activities.

Q: The majority of our Power of Parent trained facilitators are volunteers. Can we use include the $value of a volunteer-hour as defined by the federal government (approximately $20 per hour) as a gift-in-kind?

A: No. In-kind gifts are not allowable as a match for the grant.

Q: Would the PLCB consider the value a relevant PSA’s broadcast in the Pennsylvania market as an appropriate gift-in-kind that can be used as part of the matching process for Year 1? PSA’s could include the tag brought to you by MADD and the PCLB. If this would help.

A: If the PSA’s or the airtime for them is purchased, it would be an appropriate match. If not purchased, it would not be.

Q: If I am suggesting matching funds to be the entire subscription purchase of E-Chug, which is an allowable expense, do I need to write it out within the section for activities with detailed reasoning and data? This subscription purchase will be 100% paid for with matching funds and will be included in the matching funds budget but does it need to appear in the activity as well? To clarify, Do all of my matching fund activities need to go within the program and activities section where I would need to include the activity, reason for selecting it and data supporting it?

A: Any activities that are part of the grant program should be included on the timeline and in the activities section. If you are using the data for other, funded, activities, you will need to give it to justify those activities. As always, you should strive to give the information in as concise a manner as possible.

Q: In the Project Summary, Applicant History and Description of the targeted population sections, is the 1500 character limitation with or without spaces?

A: The 1500 characters include spaces. We set the limit in order to encourage applicants to be succinct in their descriptions in this field.

Q: In regards to the match amount for the PLCB Alcohol Education Grant- the guideline states that “the matching funds are at least 25% of requested funds”. If my agency is requesting the maximum amount of $40,000 does that mean that we can only request up to $30,000 and must provide the remaining $10,000. Does the match requirement refer to 25% of overall project cost, meaning if we are requesting $40,000 the total cost of the project can be at least $53,333.00, which breaks down to 75% of the project being provided by grant funds and 25% being provided by matching funds?

A: If your agency requests the full amount of $20,000 per year, the match would have to be an additional $5,000 each year.

Q: Does a percent of an administrator’s salary count as matching as it is devoted to activities of the grant? Does prevention lessons that support the activities of the grant count toward matching funds if it is the % of the teacher’s salary spent in prevention lessons?

A: While neither of those would be allowable as grant expenses, they would be allowable as matching funds IF the activities were relevant to the purposes of the grant. In the case of the lessons, they would have to be lessons on prevention of underage alcohol use; prevention of the use of other drugs or other dangerous behaviors would not be applicable.


Q: For the Grant Timeline- should the only programs listed be the ones receiving funding or used for the match? Is it acceptable to add all planned programs that complement the project in the Timeline?

A: Any programs that are part of the proposed project should be included in the timeline.